Thursday, October 13, 2011

Seed & Feed Bags to Tote Bags







































This 'refashioning/upcycling' idea climbs into my TOP 10 favorites list.  Many of todays feed & seed bags are made of tough, woven plastic. Made into tote bags these over-sized 'plastic fabric purses' endure all kinds abuse and are perfect for carrying an assortment of items, including heavy objects such as books, rocks and sea shells (no kidding).

The idea for my first bag came from a blog on the internet.  It showed some pictures and had some basic instructions for cutting and sewing together.  I saved a bird seed bag and gave it a go (See above photo).  It went together just as the blog described; although it did take a bit longer than the suggested time of assembly.

I have made quite of few of these nifty totes since that first time over a year ago.  These chicken feed bags were sent to me from my sister and make adorable totes (See photo below).  The wood handles were a special find, on sale in a clearance at Joann Fabrics.  The Morning Song bird seed bag was purchased here in Tulsa.  Just perfect for toting my library books to and from.
















Dog and Cat food bags were some of my first totes and make cute bags, aprons and purses as well.  It's easy to find a pet lover to give one of these special gifts to.

Messenger bag

cleaning the bags is the most time consuming part of this project


A good day's work!

Fun garden apron from a bird seed bag.

Special apron made for Ruth at the Ozark-Dale. Co. Humane Society



2 comments:

  1. Cute and thrifty! I've been making totes too and I am going to experiment with making an apron soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. Eco friendly

    ReplyDelete